I still find it shocking to find out that people 1) read my blog and 2) care about what I have to say. Anyway, here are the details on the Liebster Award.
“Liebster Awards Nominees go to up and coming bloggers with less than 200 followers. The origins of this award are unclear and are simply given by fellow award nominees to blogs that inspire them and that they enjoy themselves. ‘Liebster’ means means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome in German.”
I would like to thank Lindsay at “The Leaking Boob” for the nomination. She writes about everything from changing careers and her adorable daughter to her husband going back to school and recipes…and much more. Check out her blog!
Anyway,here are the conditions of the award
11 Random Facts About Myself
1) I am almost fluent in American Sign Language after taking three years of classes in my high school, having an interpreter as a cousin and having her Deaf boyfriend join our family.
2) I could pretty much live in dresses/skirts and leggings. They are so much cuter than pants, plus I feel more put together when I am dressed nicer…this may be why I only own one pair of sweat pants.
3) I am obsessed with the Cincinnati Reds; I believe it may be a sickness at this point. I went to spring training (when they were still in Sarasota) during my spring break from college, I have been to many Redsfests (think comic con for Reds fans) and more games than I can count.
4) I am a recent convert to vegetarianism. I would like to say it is because of how animals are treated prior to and during slaughter (which is beyond horrible….tiny cages, no room or ability to move, steroids, hormones, covered in feces, inhumane euthanasia, etc), but really it is because of my rumination and how hard it is for the body to digest meat. More about this in another post.
5) I am a huge klutz. This can be demonstrated by the fact that I have broken my nose, arm, middle finger and numerous toes…not to mention an ill-fated incident with an oven and a frozen pizza that left me with a huge burn scar on top of my left wrist.
6) I am the first in my immediate family to go to/graduate from college.
7) I spent that last two years working for the Americorps VISTA program assisting people in rural Ohio gain knowledge on, build, maintain and harvest from their own gardens.
8) I think I could live at Disneyworld and never get bored.
9) I love to knit and sew, despite the fact I can only knit square and rectangular things.
10) I have never been stung by a bee/wasp/etc, but I have been stung by a jellyfish.
hate am terrified of odd numbers and go to great lengths to avoid them when possible (I realize it is impossible to avoid odd numbered highways/roads…which is why the numbers can add up to be an even number and it is ok then)
11 Questions from Lindsay
1. Favorite book: Tied between all Sherlock Holmes stories and novels, and my all-time favorite, The Velveteen Rabbit
2. Favorite online shopping site: I do not do a lot of online shopping, but, when I do, it is usually amazon because I am most likely buying books for my kindle.
3. Happiest childhood memory: My father would always take me to his friends farm where I got to milk cows by hand, watch the automated milkers, gather eggs, climb around in the hay loft, chase chickens…and anything else I felt like I wanted to do. It was so fun.
4. Biggest goal on your bucket list: I would like to, someday, adopt a child. I have felt in my heart that adoption was right for me for a long time, and would like to share that with children in need.
5. One place you’re dying to travel: Due to my immense love of Sherlock Holmes, I have always wanted to go to England.
6. Biggest inspiration: My friend Meredith. Daily, she shows me how to live a recovered life of grace, humor, intelligence, beauty and gratitude.
7. Favorite season: Fall; I love the leaves…and when all the restaurants come out with their pumpkin food.
8. Biggest pet peeve: people who cannot clean up after themselves when they make a mess
9. One person you would like to meet: my grandfather. He passed away while my mother was pregnant with me. For the first few years of my life everyone called me “little Buck” because, apparently, I look just like him…only a girl.
10. Age when you got your first cell phone: 15…and I think I am the only 25 year old without a smartphone
11. 3 words to describe yourself: nurturing, humorous, fighter
11 Questions from me, Rhea
1) Are you an early bird or a night owl?
2) What is your favorite vacation spot?
3) What is your favorite color?
4) Who is your favorite writer?
5) What is one thing you know for certain?
6) What was/is your first car?
7) What are your hobbies?
8) Who or what inspires you?
9) What are two (or more) positive traits that you posses?
10) What is your favorite quote?
11) What is your greatest accomplishment?
11 blogger nominees
(here’s the thing, I don’t regularly read or subscribe to 11 different blogs)
1) MK writes about her own brave recovery from an ED, about having grace with herself, loving others and loving herself. Her selfless writing inspires me.
2) Matt is a writer and activist for those who suffered/are suffering with an ED. He speaks to people about the misconceptions about EDs (specifically that they are a women’s disease), lobbies for better mental health practices, and advocates for, not only his recovery, but the recovery of others. He is doing what I aspire to someday do for others, and my recovery.
3) Rachel writes about her path to recovery from her ED while teaching those unfamiliar with EDs more about them. She always gives me something to apply to my own life with her writing and provides her readers with questions to get them started thinking about their own recovery. No to mention we have the same name! Although I go by Rhea instead.
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father
1 Corinthians 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect.